- Cement concrete flooring not laid within 48 hours of laying of cement concrete sub-base. In case of lime concrete sub- base, cement concrete flooring is to be laid after 7 days and not later than 10 days.
- Surface of sub - grade is not roughened with steel wire brushes.
- Cement slurry not applied at 2 kg per sq.m either to sub- grade or to RCC slab before laying the flooring.
- Concrete of floors not beaten up to get the cream of mortar.
- Thickness of flooring laid is less than what is specified.
- Sprinkling the dry cement or mixture of sand and cement to absorb excessive moisture.
- Curing not done for a minimum of 10 days.
- Overlapping of edges of panels.
- Sometimes, tiles/ stones are laid on a bed of dry mortar, this will result in flooring sounding hollow when tapped with a wooden mallet. Some tiles working loose and there may be no bond between the stone/ tiles and the sub- grade or RCC slab.
- Finishing slope not properly done especially in kitchen, bathroom and balconies. Sometimes, slope provided in the reverse direction.
- In case of marble chips flooring, it is not laid between 18 to 24 hours after the laying of under layer.
- Flooring should confirm to IS: 777 and terrazzo tile flooring confirm to IS: 1237.
Terrazo Tile Flooring:
- Thickness of tiles not as specified.
- Tiles do not have required transverse strength.
- Thickness of bedding mortar less than 10 mm.
- Cement slurry not applied @ 4.4 kg/sq.m before laying tiles.
- First grinding of tiles not done in factory before delivering at site.
Marble/ Kota Flooring:
- Average thickness of bedding should be 20 mm and not less than 12 mm at any place.
- Cement slurry not applied @ 4.4 kg. Per sq. m. over the bedding mortar before laying stone slabs.
- Thickness not as specified.
- Dadoo not flushed with well wall plaster or not projecting uniformly by 6mm from the wall plaster.
- Dadoo not laid along with border or adjacent floor panels.
- The joints in the dadoo/ skirting not kept true and straight in continuation of the line of joints in borders or adjacent panels.